Indian Premier League, the cash-rich T20 tournaments is one of the most attended cricket leagues in the world. IPL came into existence in 2007 and since then the game has become so big, it has inspired many nations to adopt the same leagues. This year, IPL has completed 10 years, so we have compiled 10 facts that every IPL lover should know.
1. Mahendra Singh Dhoni will play his first Indian Premier League (IPL) game as a non-captain against Mumbai Indian on Thursday. Earlier he remained captain for Chennai Super Kings.
2. Steve Smith is the first Australian who served as captain for three teams in the IPL. This edition, he will replace Ms Dhoni as captain in Rising Pune Supergiants.
3. Keshave Bansal who bought Gujrat Lions at the age of 24 years is the youngest ever IPL owner.
4. This is for the first time Virat Kohli will miss the first match of an IPL edition for Royal Challengers Bangalore due to an injury.
5. Chris Gayle from Royal Challengers Bangalore is the only player to win the Orange Cap twice in a row in 2012 and 2013. Orange cap is given to the player who scores highest runs in the tournament.
6. Dwayne Bravo from Chennai Super Kings is the only player who has won the Purple Cap twice. Purple Cap is given to the player who becomes the leading wicket-taker in the tournament.
7. Royal Challengers Bangalore is the only team which has failed to win a single edition, despite the team has made three final appearances in the IPL.
8. Chennai Super Kings is the only team which has won two IPL editions. It is also the only team to reach IPL finals five times.
9. Delhi Daredevils is the only team that has never played an IPL final despite the team were table toppers twice.
10. Parthiv Patel is the only player to play for six different teams in the IPL. The last IPL he played for Mumbai Indians.